Caramel Apple Torte
Cottage Life Recipe Contest Winner, 2004 – Second Prize
By Cindy Dachuk
- Serves: Makes about 10 servings
- Course: Desserts
- 1 pkg (397 g) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 ½ pkgs (250 g) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon curd
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 5-6 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly into wedges
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) caramel sundae sauce
- Roll out puff pastry on lightly floured surface to fit into a greased 12" (30 cm) pizza pan, leaving a small lip of dough up the sides of pan.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar, egg, lemon curd, and lemon juice together until smooth. Spread evenly over pastry.
- Arrange apples over filling, starting with a circle of apples around the outside edge, then working rows of apples toward the centre, overlapping each layer slightly
- Drizzle ½ cup (125 ml) caramel sauce over apples.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 50-60 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and apples are tender and lightly browned. Cool tart completely. Drizzle remaining caramel sauce on top before serving.
- - You can also make the tart in a rectangular shape on a baking sheet. Arrange apples in rows down the length of the pastry.
- - Serve torte with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- - If lemon curd is hard to find, replace it with an additional tablespoon (15 ml) of sugar and lemon juice.