Spaghetti with Bean Sauce
Cottage Life Recipe Contest Winner 2004 – Third Prize
By Laurie Lambe Wallace
- Serves: Makes about 6 servings
- Course: Lunch
- 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) seasoned stewed tomatoes
- 1 can ((19 oz/540 ml) Romano beans, undrained
- ¼ cup hot pickled banana pepper rings
- 2-3 tbsp (60 ml) olive oil
- ½ cup (30-45 ml) chopped onion
- ½ cup (125 ml) sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves (125 ml) garlic, minced
- ¼-½ cup (60-125 ml) mixed fresh herbs, chopped (basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary)
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooked spaghetti noodles
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine tomatoes, beans, and hot peppers in large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer until beans are soft and mixture thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Sauté onion, red pepper, and garlic in oil until tender. Add to tomato mixture. Simmer 20-30 minutes, until desired consistency. Add fresh herb mixture 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over hot spaghetti. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Substitute your favourite pasta; penne and fusilli work well.