Maple Beer Bread
This quick bread lends itself to variations: Try whole-wheat flour and other beers, from pale lager to rich coffee porter. Or add chopped herbs, onions, or bacon. For a cheese topping, sprinkle with 1/2 cup (125 ml) shredded Cheddar about 5 minutes before the baking is done.
- Serves: Makes 1 loaf
- Course: Lunch
- 3 cups (750 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 11/2 tsp (7 ml) salt
- 11/4 cups (300 ml) stout
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Stir in stout and maple syrup.
- Pour into a greased 9" x 5" (2 L) loaf pan and allow to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out dry. Turn out onto a wire rack; leave for 10 minutes before slicing.