Bread Pudding with Wild Blueberry Sauce
Courtesy of the Wild Blueberry Association of North America
- Serves: 6
- Course: Desserts
- 3 cups (750 ml) bread cubes, crusts removed
- 4 cups (1,000 ml) scalded milk
- 3/4 cups (175 ml) white sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
Wild Blueberry Sauce
- 3 cups (750 ml) wild blueberries, frozen
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) white sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp (5 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- Preheat oven to 350 F (200 C). Butter an 8 x 8 inch glass baking dish. Soak bread in hot milk for 5 minutes then stir in 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar, butter, salt, eggs, and vanilla. Pour into baking dish.
- Line the bottom of a larger roasting pan with damp kitchen towel. Place glass dish on towel and fill roasting pan with hot water. Place on oven rack and bake for 60 minutes. Remove from water bath and cool. Serve bread pudding warm.
- For the sauce: Cook frozen wild blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and zest in saucepan until sugar is dissolved and berries are hot. Mix cornstarch with water until well blended and stir into hot mixture. Cook until sauce is slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and serve warm over bread pudding.