Sausage Hash & Eggs
Shorten the cooking time of this hearty breakfast or lunch by using leftover potatoes from last night’s supper or by parboiling potatoes ahead of time and keeping them, covered, in the fridge until morning. Use mild or spicy sausages, or a mixture. It will all taste good.
- Serves: 4
- Course: Breakfast
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 sausages, casings removed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 lbs (1 kg) potatoes, peeled, diced, and parboiled
- 1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
- Kosher or sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook crumbled sausage meat and onion, stirring, until nicely browned, about 5 minutes. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Reserve about 2 tbsp (30 ml) cooking fat in pan.
- Add potatoes, turning occasionally with a spatula until browned. Season with paprika, salt, and pepper, and add green onions. Return sausage-onion mix to pan; toss to combine.
- Press the back of a large spoon into potato mixture, making four indentations. Crack an egg into each hollow; season lightly. Place pan in oven until eggs are set to your liking, about 7 minutes for a soft yolk. Garnish with chopped dill or parsley, if you like.
- Be careful not to parboil the potatoes too long. They should still be firm or they’ll fall apart when you fry them.