Pesto Tomato Hummus
- Course: Snack
- 12 dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) chick peas, drained
- 15 fresh basil leaves
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup (60 ml) boiling water
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) chili powder
- 1. Pour boiling water over sun-dried tomatoes. Set aside for 5 minutes. Drain well and coarsely chop.
- 2. Combine remaining ingredients and tomatoes in food processor. Purée until smooth, adding an extra spoonful of water if necessary.
- 3. Cover. Chill until serving. Serve with pita wedges, bread sticks, or vegetable sticks. Makes about 1 ½ cups (375 ml).
- - Don't worry if the mixture seems a little liquid at first. It will thicken, and the flavour will improve, on standing.