Tomato Cheese Tart
- Pastry for 9
- 1 cup (250 ml) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (250 ml) coarsely grated Asiago cheese, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) chopped fresh basil, divided
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) freshly ground pepper
- 1½ cups (375 ml) diced cooked chicken
- 5 small plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1. Put pie crust into a 9" (23 cm) pie plate.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine ricotta, half of Asiago, egg yolks, 3 tbsp (45 ml) basil, salt and pepper. Mix well. Stir in chicken. Spread mixture evenly in pastry.
- 3. Arrange tomatoes slightly overlapping in circles over filling. Brush lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle remaining Asiago cheese and basil on top.
- 4. Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 25–30 minutes, or until pastry is golden. Let stand 10–15 minutes before slicing.
- Prepare your own favourite pastry for a single pie crust or, for convenience, use a store-bought refrigerated or frozen deep-dish crust.