Cranberry Apple Conserve
This fresh-tasting, chunky cranberry condiment is delicious served warm or at room temperature with turkey or pork. It’s a great addition to a turkey (or pork) sandwich too.
- Serves: Makes 3 cups (750 ml)
- Course: Dinner
- ½ cup (125 ml) water
- 1 cup (500 ml) sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, about 3
- 1 strip lemon zest
- Pinch ground allspice
- 12 oz (340 g) fresh cranberries
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped, toasted pecans
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) apple brandy or rum (optional)
- Combine water, sugar, cinnamon stick, lemon strip, and allspice in a saucepan over medium heat. Swirl while sugar melts. Add half the cranberries and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cranberries start to pop, about 5 minutes.
- Add rest of cranberries and diced apple. Continue to simmer until cranberries and apple are soft, 5-10 minutes more. Stir in nuts, along with apple brandy or rum, if using.
- You can make this up to a week ahead. After the conserve has cooled, store in a covered container in the refrigerator.