Creamy Mushroom Soup
Try our take on this creamy classic.
- Course: Lunch
- 1 lb. mushrooms
- ½ onion, chopped
- basil, two pinches
- thyme, one pinch
- 1 tbsp mushroom paste, or more to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp. roux (mixture of butter and flour heated until thickened)
- equal portions of water and 35% whipping cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- wine, to taste
- Sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms. Add two generous pinches of basil and one pinch of thyme. Add mushroom paste (if you don't find mushroom paste in a local delicatessen, just add more mushrooms). Add mustard - it's one of the keys to making this soup delicious. It's a good idea to add your spices early on. That gives the flavour a chance to really soak in.
- Add equal parts water and 35% whipping cream. Bring the liquid to a boil. Add wine and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, mix rue with a bit of hot liquid, and beat until smooth. Add this roux mixture to the roux to thicken the whole soup. Serve in a bowl, sprinkled with a bit of parsley.