Cottage Life Recipe Contest Winner, 2000 – Third Prize
By Lynn Mills – Halls Lake, ON
- Serves: about 10 servings as a side dish
- Course: Dinner
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (500g) mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 cups (500 ml) tomato sauce
- ½ tsp (2ml) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) freshly ground pepper
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) dried oregano leaves
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) parmesan cheese, grated
- Sauté vegetables separately in oil in a large frying pan until tender-crisp.
- Layer vegetables in an oiled 13" x 9" (33 cm x 23 cm) baking dish. Cover with mozzarella cheese. Spread half the tomato sauce over the cheese. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and oregano. Top with remaining sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in preheated 350ºF (180ºC) oven 20-30 minutes, or until heated through.
- Young, tender eggplant may not have to be peeled, but if the skin seems at all tough, remove it.